Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sneetch and Science Snippets!

Wow! What a crazy past two weeks it's been. I feel like its been forever since I've had a chance to share what's been going on in the classroom. Between Dr. Seuss and the Writing of our Non-Fiction reports, my kiddos have been insanely busy! I'm sure they were just as ready for the weekend as I was!

Well, let's start with our First Grade Sneetch fun!

In honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday, we read my favorite... "The Sneetches."


After we read, the students had to reflect on whether they agreed or disagreed with the following statement:

 
 

I heard very interesting comments. Most students disagreed and thought the statement was false, but I had one that thought it was true....love those students who find evidence for what they believe even if they are the only one! So impressive.

Then, the students had to write why the believed what they did as well as what they learned. They also created their own little Sneetch if they so desired. :)

   
 

My team also could not resist the urge to dress up like The Sneetchs (with stars of course) for our Seussical field trip this past Thursday! You can't see it well in the picture, be we all had black feathers attached to our hair clips!


Love, love, love my team! Sorry..had to post the silly picture instead of the serious one!

Now on to Science!

We have been focusing on Motion and this past week we continued identifying the different types. This week we tried using groups with student specific jobs to investigate! Shout out to Ms. Acosta for creating this brilliant group system!

Each student had a certain job: The Group Leader, Materials Manager, Experiment Conductor, Data Collector, and the Reporter. Brilliant...they did so well!



There were also group point cards that the Group Leader carried around. As I monitored, I gave points and subtracted if need be! I've never seen them work so hard and get along so well. :)

 
Experiment wise, the students traveled around the room and used a straw to blow a ping pong ball in different directions on the foam. There were specific questions at each station that revolved around what made the ball move in the specific way!
 
 
The students have really grasped the different types of motion and I can't wait to try this system in other areas!
 
Finally, I have to BRAG on my students for just a moment. On the morning news there are always announcements about the Sunshine Book Reading program for 3rd-5th graders! My students of course said, "Well, can we read them too?" I was impressed. So I spoke with the librarian and made a list of previous Sunshine State Books that were on the 3rd grade level and made a quick chart! If a student reads the book and passes their AR quiz, they can pop their name up on the chart! While the books are a bit higher than where some of them are reading, I'm looking forward to seeing them go for it! ((I had one student read one in a day and pass her quiz! Hip, hip hooray!))
 
 
Well, that's all for now!
Stay posted for more!
 
--Mrs. Hunter
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment