Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Leapin' Leprechauns!


Happy Late St. Patrick's Day!

Although this fun little holiday occurred over the weekend, my team and I couldn't help but celebrate it in small but meaningful ways!

As you read in the last post, we read Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato and this week it's on to Jamie O'Rourke and the Pooka! We have had so much fun already using our Readers Response Notebooks to compare and contrast the main character's adventures! I also have to say that we have added SO many new words to our schema's! :)

   

In the Writing department  we really felt like we needed to provide our students time to creatively write. We have been working SO hard on our non-fiction reports, that a nice break was needed. So, we brainstormed St. Patrick's Day words, created a rubric for a fiction piece, and jumped right in! 

I was so impressed by the engagement of my lovely students and how much they have grown since the beginning of the year. :) **They also put together a cute little Leprechaun head to attach to their writing!**  

Here are a few! 

  


We also talked about the legend of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! We discussed what our "Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow" would be and then wrote it out! Such thoughtful answers....my family  friends, school, grandma, horse, etc!  I also had the students engage in good ole' fashion finger painting! Our wonderful Ms. Jones had a cute idea to add cotton to both ends! Brilliant...and thank goodness Ms. Breslin ALWAYS has extra so she let me share! :)))

  

Now...I couldn't help but show this short video of a supposed leprechaun siting! My students ATE this up! :) 





Then we wrote out How to Catch a Leprechaun using transition words! They were SO funny! 

  


After the students wrote their steps out, they got to travel around the room and read their plan to two other classmates! It was a great way to practice fluency in their own writing! 

 

Last but not least, 
St. Patrick's Day would not be complete without new stained glass for the windows...


And a treat from the Leprechauns....


My students were so excited and SO thankful. :) 
Overall, I consider it all a success! 

Have a super night and thanks for reading! 

--Mrs. Hunter 

No comments:

Post a Comment