Saturday, February 2, 2013

Trying to Keep Up....!

Wow,
I'ts been a wild few weeks! Who would have thought the month of January could be so busy!
I just returned from a Leader in Me conference in Punta Gorda that focused on building student leaders through the use of the 7 Habits! I met Sean Covey, who's father was the 7 Habits guru...ya, I was pretty star struck to say the least!

 
I was refreshed to continue my classroom focus on Leadership and inspired to try new things! I can't wait to get started.
 
Now on to classroom fun!
 
Last week we began the creation of student selected topics for How-to-Books. We are still in the process of editing and beautifying, but here are a few pictures of a student who finished.
 
 
 
                             
                                            
 
 
They look awesome and I can't wait to finish so the students can display them! They came up with the cutest topics. There was everything from How-to Act like Junie B. Jones to How-to Be a Leader! Very Proud!
 
 
Habit 5: Seek First to Understand and then to be Understood has been a HUGE focus of my lately. Helping the students how to listen with more than their ears is a hard concept, but they are learning to use their eyes and heart. This is also important for them to allow others to finish speaking before they interject with their thoughts! We disucssed this, passed the talking stick and then wrote out what it meant to us!
 
Here are a few...
 
 
 
 
Still a work in progress, but we are working hard!
 
Finally,
 
I wanted to share a few pieces of writing from my students. Every Wednesday I have a volunteer who comes in as the "Publishing Parent." She meets with a students and helps them edit/publish one of their journal stories! They love the one on one time and it helps so much, especially at this age when they are really just beginning to understand the concept of editing.
 
 
 
 

 
By the end of the year, my goal is to have at least two original journal stories published through this process!
 
That's all for now!
 
--Mrs. Hunter


2 comments: